Chess set

 My chess set is based on the concept surrounding the functionality of a chess piece, I wanted to do something a little more simplistic but with detail so I chose to do a bunch of deer heads with different horns corresponding to their own chess piece. Furthermore, I made the horns detachable so that the function of the chess piece can be manipulated as one action that can be made in transforming a pawn that has reached the opposite side of the board into any piece (except a king).




Further development of design

With my original ideas to the left, I wanted to further think of what to do with the horns as they would be the only defriending aspect between each of the pieces. It went from horns that would escalate to each of the pieces having their own type of horns. One thought I kept was to have the queen have a combination of each of the horns as the piece's movement is basically a combination of each of the other pieces movements. 
While 3d designing things one thing that was hard was figuring out how to put them together and to make it a closed surface as the horns being a complicated structure caused many problems. They are made of an extruded shape that is tapered and twisted which was then flowed onto another curve to give the horn shape. While printing I separated the horns and place them in an orientation that would benefit it while printing so it wouldn't need that much support so time would be cut. I also did a double split with the horns to make sure they were flat on the surface.

Comments

Popular Posts