Hehe heres this.

So many things happened within the time span of today (about 4 am on wed) and the last OBDF class. A delay in the shipment of my digital calliper, learning how to use a calliper because I was asleep during the explanation, fixing my laptop, and the assignment, figuring out the measurements of this thing. There are easier ways to do things and I was doing something crazy thoughts again so if something seems inefficient it probably is because I cannot think anymore. This blog lacks any rhino which I could say an excuse like ''I want all the measurements down first considering how there are tons of measurements to take account for" and though it's partially true but it's more like I literally could not work on this as my laptop was having its own battle, let's stop there. Let me try to compensate with a ton of work and thought process and some other dumb stuff. 

I did (most of) the measurements for the two biggies being the handle and plier claw things, only needed to do one of each as they are just mirrored or literally designed to be flipped. 


While figuring out measurements I was trying to calculate the arc of the missing portion however two problems came up being missing components to a trig formula (more explained later) and the placement of the arcs on the handle portion.

Here is the previous sketch from last week of the pieces separated and described. I'm planning to do a base model for each of the gadgets being the connecting part of the handles so I can just simply modify them according to their shape and such.



Here are the basic measurements for the handle (not rounded up) and some being the additive/subtractive answers so that it would fit within the over length/width/height recorded for simplicity sake. One thing to note is that there are some inconsistencies within the production giving the reason that though the design is somewhat mechanical that it was not mass manufactured but hand made in a sense (also because they put it in a wooden box but that's just theorizing at this point). This is important as the decision to keep these inconsistencies provided the challenge of mimicking manmade errors which is not that easy (more repetitive as I would have to input the measurements)...


Here are some imperfections being cracks and uneven cuttings. Also a close up on the hammered axle thing I cannot remember the name of. 


Here I am looking and placing the measurements onto this thing. I got the idea of using trig to figure this out as it seemed like an easy task however I have not done trig in ages and only remember SOHCAHTOA by its name alone and not its internal components. The diameter of the circle is x+(3.4) which is not really a fun thing to work with. Im probably just being dumb. Yesterday (Tuesday), I was working on the arc problem and even asked my friend from Georgia in some physics classes to help me out but time got the better of both of us and here we are with missing measurements and confusion. I could plot this out on a graph or make numerous points on the arc to provide a similar result however it would not be as accurate as we are trying to get here.





The claw things are even more difficult as they are an amalgamation of numerous polygons which my brain was mentally trying to simulate in 3d to figure out placement and I forgot what I was typing. But anyways there are some bits and pieces I cant measure at the moment as I would have to break apart the tool but the way the tools are held in are with this axel that is maybe hammered or pressed down at the end so that it holds it together and I do not have enough metalwork knowledge to undo that and then redo it. I probably could learn online but that seems a little too excessive. 

There is a wire cutter portion that extends past a linear line placement down from the teeth thing which makes sense for the wire cutting. The spring is kinda weird as it really is just used for making sure the pliers are in this certain angle giving it a limited range of spreading. Another thing to note is that the pliers have an interesting placement however it 


Some closeups of some things. Like the pliers, the extra bit of metal input into the thing to add enough space for the pliers, and the small spring.


Some last note thoughts on how to measure were literally scanning the tool and placing that scan into rhino and following the curves using that for the basic outline but I don't know about that. The size transfer probably wouldn't be a problem but the accuracy of my copying skills might be crazy. 

I'm tired now so here's my dog and my goodbye. 






Comments

Popular Posts